Commissioning & Engineering
Engineering design and building commissioning are two related services that play a role in ensuring the success of a commercial construction project. Both look at the development and implementation of mechanical, electrical, structural and other systems in the building environment. Engineering design involves determining the general requirements of these systems and developing specifications for meeting them. Building commissioning involves testing the installed system to confirm it performs to the established specifications and satisfies the overall requirements.
A full-service engineering design firm can provide both engineering and commissioning of a building’s plumbing, electrical and other systems. Whether it’s a new build or a forward-thinking retrofit of an existing property, bringing on an engineering design firm can have positive benefits for any project.
Why Building Commissioning and Engineering Are Important
Building engineering and commissioning help to create facilities that are more energy efficient and cost-effective to operate in the long run. They also ensure plumbing, electrical, HVAC and other systems will be capable of handling the demands of a building’s occupants.
For project owners, design and commissioning are essential aspects of project management. Engineering design is critical to establishing a project’s goals, whereas commissioning is an important way of enhancing overall quality control. By engaging an engineering design and commissioning firm early in the project lifecycle, owners can minimize the risk of cost overruns and delays.
Working With a Full-Service Engineering Design Firm
Working with a full-service engineering design firm such as Reynolds has several benefits. Our combined experience and expertise allow our team to provide comprehensive solutions at both the preconstruction and construction phases.
We can design and verify integrated systems that are energy-efficient and cost-effective while meeting all required safety and performance benchmarks. We can streamline the commissioning process, collaborating with multiple stakeholders to confirm that the installed system will meet all current and future requirements.
Our Role in the Process
Since 1999, Reynolds has provided engineering design and building commissioning services for more than $2 billion in new and renovated construction throughout Maryland, Pennsylvania, and Virginia. The projects with which we have been involved include office and commercial properties, university and college buildings, high performance athletic facilities, technology intensive science facilities, museums, K-12 schools, healthcare facilities, central power plants, and government buildings.
Reynolds provides full-service HVAC, mechanical, electrical, plumbing, and fire protection engineering design and building commissioning services. In order to provide these services, we have assembled a team of professional engineers that offer our clients practical, cost effective, and efficient approaches to the design and commissioning of their facilities, whether it is a new building or one undergoing renovation.
Commissioning & Engineering Projects
- Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh
- State College Area School District
- University of Pittsburgh Johnstown
- University of Pittsburgh
- Harrisburg University Academic Center
- Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission
- River Valley Transit
- Chisuk Emuna Synagogue
- Montoursville Area School District
- Juniata County School District
Memberships & Affiliations
- American Institute of Architects, Pennsylvania Chapter (AIA)
- Construction Management Association (CMAA)
- County Commissioners Association of Pennsylvania (CCAP)
- Delaware Valley Association of Higher Education Facilities Officers (DVAPPA)
- Delaware Valley Association of School Business Officials (DVASBO)
- Keystone Chapter of APPA (KAPPA)
- Pennsylvania Association of Rural and Small Schools (PARSS)
- Pennsylvania Association of School Administrators (PASA)
- Pennsylvania Association of School Business Officials (PASBO)
- Pennsylvania School Boards Association (PSBA)
- Society of Marketing Professional Services (SMPS)
- United States Green Building Council of Central Pennsylvania (USGBC)
- Western Pennsylvania Facilities Directors Association (WPFDA)